Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Second Chance?

I was the victim of a most crewel and unusual hand in the Sunday second chance $215 tournament at Stars last night.

It’s a couple of hands after the 1st break and I get dealt AQo in the BB. It’s folded to the button who raises to 4 x BB. The SB checks and I put in a re-raise. At this point I figure I have a half decent hand if the button does actually have something, but chances are he was just trying a steal and is folding this most of the time.

The player on the button calls my re-raise and the flop comes Qc8c4c. Not the best flop for me but I have top pair, top kicker and The Ac for the flush draw. Villain checks and I throw in a healthy raise. He pauses and pushes his stack, which was narrowly bigger than mine, into the pot.

He could have the flush here or have caught something else he wants to protect. I have TPTK plus the flush draw, I also have just over half my stack in the pot at this point. Folding leaves me a serious short stack and needing a hand pretty soon. I call and villain flips 2c3c for the flush. I get no help and I’m out about half way through the field.

What gets me is he called a re-raise after a 4 x BB raise with 23s. Maybe I don’t get poker after all!

No comments: